OverviewDefinition: Wafer dicing is the absolutely necessary working procedure in semiconductor chip manufacturing and it is the latter procedure. Wafer dicing is to divide the whole complete wafer chip into several single grains. Now, we have the technological capability to dice table diode, diamond SCR wafer and trigger tube wafer produced by GPP (Glass Passivation Process). Compared with traditional dicing process, it has so many advantages that many domestic factories have been producing GPP wafer and the finished products with this technology.
● The blade works on wafer surface directly and lead to damage easily at the same time;
● The thick blade causes a larger line width of cutter;
● Increasing supply. The blade needed to be changed semimonthly;
● Cause serious environmental pollution because of the unwieldy silicon fume.
To meet demands for high product quality, a lot of factories are persistently seeking for new technology to promote work efficiency, so as to provide higher quality products to customers.
There are two cutting technology in wafer dicing industry. One is traditional blade cutting, the other is modern laser dicing. I will prove the advantages of laser dicing by comparison.At first, wafer was cut by dicing system. This method is still popular in chip cutting market, especially the non-integrated circuit wafer dicing. Diamond saw blade is a common dicing method.
Blade CuttingWhen the work piece is hard and brittle, diamond will fracture and break it, then remove the powder with blade.
Owing to the advantages of focus, the focus point can be as small as submicron. It can undertake the processing of small part, especially the micro processing of wafer. It can get a higher energy density to process materials effectively, even without high pulse energy.
● Laser dicing can avoid chip broken and other damage phenomena without any contact;
● With high beam quality, the fiber laser has less effect on electric property of chips;
● The speed of laser dicing reaches as high as 150mm/s;
● With better versatility and compatibility, laser can work on wafers of various thicknesses;
● Laser can cut complicated wafers, such as the core of hexagon tub;
● Laser dicing can conduct 24 hours continuous working without deionized water and won’t cause tool wears.
Dicing Equipment Traditional cutting (abrasive wheel) Laser dicing(optics) Cutting Speed 5-8mm/s 1-150mm/s Cutting Line Width 30～40 mu 30～45 mu Cutting Effect Easy to break and collapse Smooth, flat and firm Heat Affected Zone Larger Smaller Residual Stress Larger Smaller Wafer Thickness Requirements More than 100 um Almost no requirement Adaptability Change cutter with different wafer chips Adapted to different wafer chips Loss Need deionized water
Need to change blade
Loss is great
Loss is very small
Customer BenefitWith laser technology, customers will benefit much:
● Avoid chip broken and other damage phenomena without any contact;
● High-quality laser beam improves product yield rate;
● Fast speed as high as 150mm/s;
● Better versatility and compatibility, can work on various thicknesses;
● Can cut complicated wafers;
● No tool wear, can conduct 24 hours continuous working.
Diode GPP Wafer Trigger Tube GPP Wafer Hexagon GPP Wafer Discharge Tube Wafer Double Table Diamond SCR Wafer